A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Happy 2017! Monday miscellany - 2Jan17

Happy New Year!

As with every new year, it's time to look at what I've accomplished in the past, and look toward the future.

In 2016, I travelled back from one foreign country (Germany on New Years Day 2016), traveled to and from another (Canada in July), and completed 4 crafting projects (2 crochet, 1 knit, 1 cross-stitch). Quite a busy year!
Looking at last year's goals:
  • Read 10,000 pages - I read 11093 pages, so mission accomplished.
  • Do 10 101List items - I came in at 7 items, and neither of the two stitching ones I'd wanted to do.
  • Isengard to Minas Tirith (Merry's path) - I reached here in September.
  • Isengard to Minas Tirith (Gandalf and Pippin's path) Only 151 miles of 517, but this was a stretch goal anyway.
So, 2 of 4 on goal completion, but progress toward the others. Not perfect, but not too shabby.

Looking forward to this year, the goals will be very similar. It will be a bit of a transition year as DD prepares for college, so it's hard to say yet what the latter half of the year will hold. There are, however, some goals that are always constant.
  • Read 10,000 pages - I read over 11,000 last year, but that was with two trips, and I tend to read more when I travel. I think I'll retain it at 10k.
  • Do 10 101List items - I'll be rolling over the 101List to another round in late July, but it serves well as a master 'to-do' list. I do want to complete the magi panel for Nativity and finish Around the World in 80 Stitches as two of these.
  • Isengard to Minas Tirith (Gandalf and Pippin's path) - I'm already on this path, so I should arrive around mid-year.
So that's what's on tap for goals. I do also want to retain the weekly updates, so here's the first one!

What I've been reading... I'm on page 497 of 672 in Brandon Sanderson's _Arcanum Unbounded_, and should finish this week. Next on tap: _What If?_ by Randall Munroe (of xkcd fame).

What I've been stitching... I've put a fair bit of time into the magi panel for Nativity. The angel is complete, and I've started on one of the magi. I'm only going to work on it for another week, and will put it away after Epiphany. I'll resume work when Lent starts in March.

Fumbling toward fitness... I did make it by Curves thrice, which completes my workout count for the "No Gain" challenge. I'm also down several pounds, unofficially. Official weigh-in is next week. As for treadmill, I only did 165 minutes for 7.25 miles, which is down a bit from usual. I'll try to average 30 minutes a day in the coming year.

One Little Victory It's been a very relaxing down week, and I've been watching a lot of football while stitching. Georgia Tech won their bowl game 33-18 against Kentucky. Go Jackets!

No comments: