A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Mirepoix madness!

(or, Too Much of a Good Thing)

One of my unofficial resolutions for the year was to plan out meals for the week, partly to curtail the "What do we want for dinner?" "Food" "More specific?" "Edible food (or "Non-toxic and not moving too fast") type conversations, and partly because if we're honest, DH, DD and I could all stand to lose a little weight.

In musing about meals for the upcoming week, one of the items is Alton Brown's delicious Lentil Soup. Featuring in said recipe (and indeed, many recipes I have occasion to make) is mirepoix, which is a fancy French name for a veggie combination of 2 parts onion, 1 part celery, 1 part carrot.

Since it's not infrequent that I find myself with knife in hand, contemplating violence against unsuspecting onions, carrots, and celery, I figured I'd just make up a large batch of mirepoix and freeze most of it, saving myself time later. So I bought rather more than usual of said victims this evening at the grocery store.

And I think I overdid it a bit. All told, I have 10 quart-sized freezer bags, each containing 2 cups of veggie goodness. And 2 gallon-sized bags each holding 6...for those large pots of chicken soup.

32 cups of mirepoix.... Insane. And I ended up freezing 5 large onions that I'd peeled but ended up not needing.

At least I won't have to do any major chopping for a while!

No comments: