A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A good pun is its own reword...

Longtime readers have probably noticed, very likely to their chagrin, that I have a fondness for wordplay...especially puns. (Hey, "Belinda" anagrams to "bad line". I figure I'm permitted....)

One of the more well-known genres of pun is the Tom Swifty, where a character's quote will pun or be punned upon by the method of delivery. Some examples are:

"Use your own toothbrush!" Tom bristled.
Your embroidery is terrible," Mary needled, cruelly.


A couple I found today that were pretty funny:
"Dinna wave that axe aboot, Jimmy!" said Tom heedlessly.
"I'm Irish," said Tom wryly.

Leave a comment with your favorites, and feel free to make up your own!

No comments: