A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shooting the breeze...

Score: Hurricane Deterrent System 2, tropics 0.

Ever since we got storm shutters, we've been mercifully spared hurricanes. And even tropical storms have been diminished - Ernesto was merely a tropical depression when he blew through yesterday. Money well spent, I say.
Or it could be DD's theory about the Carolina Hurricanes winning the Stanley Cup this year. Whichever.

Another meme is making the rounds, so of course I want to play along!
1. Elaborate on your default icon.
I'll assume this refers to my signature icon - the little family up there in the upper right corner. It's a cartoon-doll representation of my family, done with online dollmakers and heavy application of MSPaint. It has evolved over time, and generally is composed of folks actually in residence at Alternate Dementia.

2. What's your current relationship status?
Going on 16 years of marriage to my wonderful DH.

3. Ever have a near-death experience?
None that I recall.

4. Name an obvious quality you have.
I like puns more than DH probably thinks I should.

5. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now?
"YYZ" - Rush. Probably because that was what was on the CD in my car when I turned off the ignition.

6. Name a celebrity you would marry.
Marry a celebrity? Um, no thanks. Not even Ioan Gruffudd. I prefer to stay out of the limelight.

7. Who will cut and paste this first?
Whoever hasn't already answered this!

8. Has anyone ever said you look like a celebrity?
I once got compared to Uma Thurman as she is in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but that's about it that I can recall. It's the superficial resemblance to Botticelli's Venus on the Half-Shell.

9. Do you wear a watch?
Essential gear! I feel exposed without a watch.

10. Do you have anything pierced?
Only my earlobes.

11. Do you have any tattoos?
Nope. I get deferred enough already from donating blood - I don't want to get deferred for a year or anything!

12. Do you like pain?
Pain is sometimes necessary, but I wouldn't say I *like* it. I'm no masochist or anything.

13. Do you like to shop?
Depends on what I'm shopping for. Books or craft stuff, yes. Clothing, definitely not.

14. What was the last thing you paid for with cash?
A gallon of milk Tuesday afternoon on my way home.

15. What was the last thing you paid for with your credit card?
Refueled my car. Pay-at-the-pump is great!

16. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?
Someone at a cleaning service that I'm having in for an estimate that I needed to reschedule.

17. What is on your desktop background?
At the moment, a sunset mountain scene reflection on Webshots. It'll change in an hour or so.

18. What is the background on your mobile phone?
A picture of Cilgerran Castle from one of my UK trips.

19. Do you like redheads?
Well, I *am* one and so is my DD, so I should hope so.

20. Do you know any twins?
Quite a lot. My paternal grandmother was a twin. My DD's best friend's younger sisters are twins. I knew lots of twins growing up. Now triplets, there's another matter!

21. Do you have any weird relatives?
I *am* the weird relative!

22. What was the last movie you watched?
Johnny English. Rowan Atkinson is hilarious.

23. What was the last book you read?
I have two currently on the go: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, and The Four Loves by C.S.Lewis.

24. Why do you fill out these memes?
Because I'm sure people would be bored out of their minds if I talked about tropical cyclones all the time!

No comments: