A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Big plans for small things...

One of the things I enjoyed back when we RPG'd more often was painting miniatures - figurines that represented our characters when the situation (usually a combat) needed to be actually set up for better visualization. It was fun to take a 1.5" piece of cast metal and bring it to life as someone. It was also rather a challenge - some of the detail on the casting can be pretty small and a steady hand (and a very good brush) are required. My success at capturing such detail has been varied, and I am by no means possessed of much in the way of artistic skill, but I think I have generally done okay.
Here are some of my better examples:
Minis group 1
Minis group 2
Most of these are about 9 years old, with the oldest (the albino in group 1 and the drow in group 2) being about 13 years old. Ten points if you can identify the albino.

These next two are my two characters from the previous AD&D campaign we had...about 8 years ago.
Verin
I'm more proud of the back on this one, with the flowers in her hair.

Clioratha
The original Clioratha - a Bladesinger (specialized type of Elven fighter/mage) in the Birthright campaign setting. She was a bit of a free spirit (yes, those are tattoos on her legs) and was a lot of fun to play, and she remains one of my favorite all-time characters. And now you know where I got my 'net handle from!

Ah, but why am I telling you this? Because I have two new intended victims:
Hansel and Gretel
Meet Hansel and Gretel - twin heirs of a lost guilder family in the Birthright campaign world. Since we're in a somewhat light-hearted campaign I decided to be whimsical with the names. And our gaming groups have always tended to be fairly small, so it's not been uncommon for me to run multiple characters.

Hansel and Gretel are on my to-do list for the day - stay tuned to see how they turn out. Hopefully I won't mess them up too badly - my hand is not as steady as it once was.

No comments: