A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all my readers, and to the moms, wives, daughters, or sisters of readers who are moms or stepmoms. It's a tough, but important, job, and while Mother's Day has been Hallmarked to excess, I do agree that we should give credit to those in our lives who have nurtured us, fed us, disciplined us when need be, and whose influence on our lives has been so important.

So far I've had a good Mother's Day. DD gave me a handmade card and flower she made at school, as well as a little ceramic black cat figurine. DH gave me a box of Scottish Breakfast tea, and a tin of Scottish fudge (including a whiskey fudge - gotta try that!). The three of us went out to lunch at the local Indian place, where they had a buffet, which was quite good. DD got a free gumball from the machine as we were leaving. (Ah, for the days where happiness can be obtained by a mere freebie gumball...)

I hope to spend the rest of Mother's Day taking it easy - I'm a working length away from finishing Butterfly Waltz, and then there are two hockey games to watch tonight. My Bolts got eliminated in the first round, so I've been a while in deciding who I want to go all the way. I think in the West I'd like the Oilers. Still not sure in the East, but I'm leaning toward the Sabres, I think. Maybe because the Sabres won the game that I delayed DD's birth for. (The nurses came in wanting to break my water, but it was Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals, beginning of the third period and the Sabres and Leafs were tied at 3. I had them wait until after the game...)

In other good news, we FINALLY got some rain here on Friday morning around 2am. I'd stayed up to watch the Sharks-Oilers game, and a storm rolled through not long afterward. We only got about half an inch, but that's more than we'd gotten total since early February. Any rain helps the fire situation - we had a couple of days were I couldn't constantly smell smoke outside.

Yesterday I picked up the wedding present I'd taken to the framer, and I must say I am VERY happy with how it turned out. I'll post a picture after it's arrived at its intended recipients - at least one of them has my blog address, and I don't want to spoil the surprise!

No comments: