A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Thinking about stitching...

I'm about at 175 hours in Last Supper now, and I'll try to get another progress pic up soon. I did have a neat thought regarding it - putting a Bible verse (thinking of maybe John 6:35 or 51) underneath the picture. This would balance out the fact that I mis-centered too high vertically on the fabric. I'll leave the final decision up to DH.

Lately I've seen a lot of other stitching bloggers answering 25 Questions about Stitching on their blogs, and so I don't get *too* far behind the times, I'll answer them here.


1. How old were you when you started cross stitching?
I was about 6 or 7.

2. Who taught you to cross stitch?
My mom.

3. What inspired you to begin cross stitching?
I got a box of various needlecraft projects (a beginner's kit sort of thing) for Christmas one year, and one of the projects was a stamped cross-stitch piece.

4. What has been your most difficult cross stitch piece?
The most technically difficult piece I've worked to date is Victoria Sampler's Heirloom Wedding Sampler. Though it's not strictly cross-stitch, but a variety of counted-thread techniques.
The most difficult for me to finish for subjective reasons was some arctic animal kit I'd started on aida, and I had trouble finishing it after working a piece on evenweave, because the aida was so stiff by comparison.

5. Do you have friends that stitch?
Indeed so! Most of them are online friends, but there are a few locally as well.

6. What is your favourite stitched piece?
That's like asking a mother to choose her favorite child!

7. What is your favorite fabric?
28- or 32-count evenweave, especially Lugana.

8. What is your favorite fiber?
I use the most DMC, but I love working with silks.

9. What is your favorite needle?
Size 26 Piecemakers. I love the larger eye, and they don't seem to tarnish as quickly as other needles I've used.

10. Do you prefer black & white or colored charts?
Black-and-white, definitely! Easier to make a working copy. That, and color charts have a tendency to use a symbol across multiple colors, which makes organizing my threaded needles rather trickier.

11. How many Works In Progress do you have at this time?
Only two cross-stitch pieces - Leisure Arts "Last Supper", and Teresa Wentzler's "Fortunate Traveler". I also have two crocheted afghans in the works.

12. How many UFOs do you have at this time?
None - I've either finished or adopted out my UFOs.

13. How many cross stitch charts/kits/mags do you own?
Rather a lot. I gave away a lot of magazines a couple months ago, and I need to cull my charts and kits because my tastes have changed.

14. How much fabric do you have in stock at this time?
Oh gracious, I couldn't even begin to guess! Quite a bit!

15. Where is your favorite place to stitch?
Right now, my bedroom. It's out of the main area of the house, and it's comfortable.

16. What is your favorite time of day to stitch?
I do most of my stitching in the evenings, because I work during the day.

17. How many pieces have you stitched in your lifetime?
Well, I have 26 up on my Picturetrail album, and I'm sure I've done more than twice that. I'd guess between 75 and 100 pieces.

18. Do you give your stitched pieces away?
Sometimes. Most of the smaller pieces I've done were intended as gifts.

19. How many different fibers do you have in stock at this time?
I probably have at least one skein of about 15 different types, thanks to trades and generous secret stitchers!

20. How many pairs of scissors do you own?
Needlework-specific, probably 3. Closer to a dozen if you consider general craft/sewing scissors.

21. Do you use stitching enhancers (lights, scroll frames…etc)?
DH got me an Elan lap stand for Christmas a few years ago, and it's been in continuous use since then. I use Q-snaps (for smaller pieces) or scroll rods (for larger pieces) with it.

22. How many pieces that have been stitched but not yet framed or finished off in some other way do you have at this time?
If any, perhaps a couple of small embroidery pieces that are tucked away somewhere.

23. Do you have a craft/stitching room?
Not at the moment. I've started using the guest bedroom for craft storage, and that may eventually serve dual duty as a stitching room.

24. Why do you stitch?
To retain some semblance of sanity! I like to be creating something, and seeing a piece take shape as I work on it makes me feel productive. It also relaxes me.

25. What is your most memorable time related to cross stitching?
I don't know that I could pick a 'most memorable'. I've met several other stitchers when I've travelled on business, and that's always a lot of fun. I've also gotten a couple of awards for my stitching at company art shows a few years back, which is a nice ego boost.


I'm a tad frustrated at the moment because I can't upload some updates to the parish website, so I think I'll log off and go stitch!

No comments: