A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Waiting with baited breath...

There are two upcoming movie events for which I wait in anxious expectation....

The sooner of these two events is the Farscape miniseries, to be shown on SciFi on 17 October. A friend of mine sent me a link to the trailer, and it looks like it will rock. When Farscape first aired, a gaming buddy would tell us about it, but it was midway through the first season when we finally started watching. And I was hooked! So when SciFi initially announced seasons 4 and 5, there was much rejoicing. Followed by much groaning when Farscape was cancelled midway through season 4. The last episode was a very frustrating one - ending on a cliffhanger just Isn't Fair! So I've been waiting for new Farscapes for quite a long time. As are several fellow Farscape fans who happen to regular readers here...

The other event is the release of the Return of the King Extended Edition DVD. I know the theatrical release is out, but I own the xDVD for the other two movies in the trilogy, and I WANT EXTRAS! Last I heard, the release date had slipped from mid-November to sometime in December. *pout* At least it will be released before Christmas.

It's a strange feeling to realize that DD's first experience with Tolkien will be the LotR movies instead of the books - she already recognizes Gollum and has on occasion run around the house snarling "My precioussss". I think, though, that Peter Jackson did rather an admirable job - some things certainly differ from the books, but I feel he did an excellent adaptation. Some of the gems in the books obviously would not be adaptable to cinema audiences, but for the most part, the changes Jackson made fit the spirit of the books. And maybe the movies will entice her to read the books someday. I've lost count of how many times I've read them, and each time I uncover something new.

No comments: