A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Homeowner dissociation

Someone in my neighborhood has waaaaay too much time on their hands.

We live in a deed-restricted community. Now, in theory deed restrictions seem like a good thing - it cuts down on junker cars in people's yards, and houses painted garish colors. But our homeowner's association seems to have a knack for nitpicking. We've gotten letters over trivial things like our fence needing cleaning, or that our grass was a little bit brown (before the rainy season). Now, in these instances we were by no means the only offender - there were others with dirtier fences or browner grass. I presume they got nastygrams as well.

Yesterday we received a letter saying that we were in violation of one of the restrictions - keeping our driveway and sidewalk in good repair. And that if we didn't deal with it immediately, they threatened legal action. Confused, I wandered outside to see what they were griping about this time. There was nothing obvious to me - sidewalk and driveway looked fine, if a little wet from the rain.

I took another look, and noticed both places had hairline cracks, the kind concrete often gets when it settles. I started to get a bit annoyed, and was really hoping that they weren't expecting us to fix cracks. It wouldn't surprise me, but I was hoping that wasn't the case. So after much shuffling of papers to find the number, I call the president of the homeowner's association to clarify what we were expected to do.

Our name and house number didn't stand out to him when I called, which is a good sign. Obviously we must have made the Nit of the Week list, and were not a major offender. He said if we had rust or mildew or something on our walks to clean it off - that's all.

So the whole point of the letter was that they want us to clean our walks. I don't know why they didn't just say so in the letter, but cleaning our walks we can do.

But I still think someone needs to get a life.

No comments: