A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Feeding the need(le)

The Stitcher's Five has been replaced by the Question of the Week. Since I don't really have anything blogworthy to report today, I'll go ahead and catch up on the Stitcher's Fives I haven't done yet.

Stitcher's QotW (7/5/04)
Which project (finished or in progress) are you most proud of? Explain why.
Hm...tough call. Since I haven't designed my own piece yet, I don't have something there I could pick. So I think I may have to go with Emma's Garden because I'm proud if the color conversions I did on the hair and roses. Other than the color conversions, though, there wasn't anything particularly difficult about the piece. So in terms of difficulty, I'm going to say VS Heirloom Wedding Sampler. Lots of specialty stitches...the bullion roses were a pain. I did change the quote (and the font for it), so I'm proud of that too. And it seems appropriate that this was the first piece for which I used the lap stand DH got me last Christmas.

Stitcher's Five (5/31/04)
1. What is your most treasured needlework possession?
My Elan lap stand. It's been a big help with my stitching!

2. What is your greatest fear when doing needlework?
Currently my greatest fear is that something staining (cola, tea, koolaid) will get spilled on a piece I've spent a lot of time on. Now that DD is a bit older, I have less of a fear that she'll take scissors to one of my pieces.

3. What is your greatest extravagance in needlework?
I'm not sure what I have that would qualify as an 'extravagance', since I don't have scissor fobs or such. Easily the most expensive part of any of my needlework is the framing expense - I pick a frame that I think fits the piece, which may not necessarily be the least expensive, and I'll occasionally double-mat. So I hope that qualifies.

4. What is your stitching motto?
To borrow from Dragon Dreams' "Dani the Stitching Dragon": My stash is full of treasures. Now all I need is time!

5. What do you dislike most about your needlework?
If I disliked stitching, I'd not do it. Though I'm not happy with my freestyle embroidery skills. Give me counted-thread, and I'm fine.


Stitcher's Five - Finishing (5/24/04)
1. How many have you framed on the wall?
Quite a number of them - 21, if I recall correctly.

2. How many do you have finished in other ways?
I've done a couple small pieces as coasters for people over time.

3. What was the most expensive finishing?
Most of my pieces have similar framing costs, but it's probably Teresa Wentzler's "Birth Announcement", which is hanging in DD's room. It has a slightly larger frame than some of my other pieces, and is double matted.

4. Have you finished anything yourself?
I framed a Celtic Cross as a gift for my priest myself, and some of my earlier small pieces are in standard-sized frames/mats.

5. Describe your favourite finished piece.
I can't pick just one! It's probably a tossup between Emma's Garden, Birth Announcement, and VS Wedding Sampler.

No comments: