A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

The Rose of Raby

It continues to be a pretty slow week which, while not particularly useful from a blogging perspective, is useful for relaxing and recovering the vestiges of one's sanity. I've stitched some this week, and started another book. I mentioned last week that I'd finally managed to score a book I'd been seeking for a while. The book, Winter's Rose by Eleanor Fairburn, is the last in a series about Cecily Neville, a 15th century Duchess of York and the mother of English kings Edward IV and Richard III. She was known for her beauty (which earned her the nickname "The Rose of Raby") and her piety, and appears to have been quite intelligent and politically savvy. DH has long been interested in the Wars of the Roses and in Richard III in particular, so when we were expecting DD he suggested we name her after Richard's mother. From what little we know about her, she seems a worthy choice for a namesake.

I am curious to see the picture that Fairburn paints of her. I first learned about the books from an article on her in a Richard III Society newsletter, and so I set about trying to acquire them all. Five years later, I have them and can finally start reading them! And there was much rejoicing. (yaaaaay!)

I am interested in other books about Cecily Neville, so if anyone has any leads on The Rose of Raby by Guy Paget, or if you know of any others, please let me know.

No comments: