A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Monday, February 17, 2014

WIPocalypse redux - February update

wip_button1 Topic of the month: How many projects do you generally feel comfortable having in progress at a time? Tell us about your one-at-a-time or rotation habits!
This is actually a complex question. I certainly don't feel comfortable having more than a handful of projects on the go, but I don't know that I'd call myself a one-at-a-timer, and it's not strictly a rotation. In general, I tend to have one timed project, and one untimed project. When I can get uninterrupted stitching time, I'll work on the timed piece (or in the case of Convent Herbal Garden, I've timed one instance of elements that are repeated). When I'm likely to be somewhat distracted or am multitasking, I'll work on the untimed piece.

Sometimes I may swap out one or more pieces, depending on events. I've decided to work on the Marbek Nativity during Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter, so that becomes my timed piece during those seasons, for example.

I may also have one or more alternate technique projects in progress, such as canvaswork, knitting, or crochet. I might also keep a small cross-stitch project in my purse to pass the time while waiting.

Anyway, it's a bit tricky and probably only makes sense in my own mind! But without further ado, on to the updates!


Project: Convent Herbal Garden
Designer: Chatelaine
Fabric: 32ct Lugana - Silkweaver solo
Total hours to date: 170
Progress since last update: 14 hours - finished the southwest corner and half of the south gate.
Notes: Just one more urn until I am done with Marlitt forever!

Convent Herbal Garden at 170 hours
(Click for larger image)



Project: Around the World in 80 Stitches
Designer: Papillon Creations
Fabric: 32ct cream Lugana
Total hours to date: not counting
Progress since last update: Finished Part 5 80 Stitches
(Click for larger image)

Project: Stars for a New Millennium
Designer: Anthony Minieri
Fabric: 18ct pewter mono canvas
Total hours to date: not counting
Progress since last update: none
Notes: I've made the working copy for the next planned segment, but no stitching since last update.


Project: Nativity (shepherds panel)
Designer: MarBek
Fabric: 32ct Belfast - Countrystitch "Pansy"
Total hours to date: 29
Progress since last update: none
Notes: Put away until Lent (which starts 5 March this year).


Project: Fantasy Triptych
Designer: Teresa Wentzler
Fabric: 32ct Lugana - Silkweaver "Blue Dynasty"
Total hours to date: 28
Progress since last update: none

In non-stitching goals, my trusty treadmill Kryten broke down at the end of January. The first replacement part I was sent didn't resolve the issue, so I'm awaiting a new motor and a repair tech. Hopefully he'll be back in working order soon - I miss my daily tread!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liking your progress on ATW in 80. I just picked mine up again this month after buying some scroll rods... It was just too cumbersome on QSnaps. I am about half way through part 13. Hopefully in the next few months I will get smaller scrolls, and get back to Stars for a New Millennium. :-) - Nicole

Angie said...

beautiful work. I personally prefer to stitch a monthly rotation. Each project for 1 week.

DraxZaster said...

I am still relatively new to cross stitching, but I have found that I can only work on one project at a time. I can interrupt it, but I have to complete the interruption before I go back to the prior project. That may be more of a personality than an experience thing, though :)

Just found your blog and enjoy it. Thanks!