A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Happy 2014!

Belated Happy New Year! Welcome to 2014!

2013 had its ups and downs. On the upside, we had a good trip to the UK in June, our newest grandson was born at the end of June, I got to visit some friends in Nashville in July, and we just returned from visiting my beloved sister-in-law and her family in Texas over the holidays. On the downside, we had a home burglary over the summer, I gained back all of the weight I lost in 2012, and the general compound effect of myriad minor stressors just adds up after a while.

Hopefully 2014 will be better.

My treadmill/walking streak ended at about 590 consecutive days at the end of December - I didn't have treadmill access, and a couple of long travel days made taking the time to walk outside tricky. So, time for a new streak to begin!

As with every year, it's time to review last year's goals and make new ones! Without further ado:

2013 Goals
  • Read 5000 pages - 9122 pages certainly blew that out of the water. Perhaps I should increase my goal for 2014.
  • Do 10 101List items - Believe it or not, I did manage to finish 10. The aforementioned 9122 pages put my total since January 2012 at 17,000 pages, well over the 15,000 page 101List goal for a last-minute finish.
  • Rauros to Isengard (Aragorn's path) - Done in January!
  • Isengard to Minas Tirith (Aragorn's path) - I've completed 525 of 786 miles. Not done, but I should be able to finish next year.

The generic goals are still good, so I think I'll keep them, but I feel I need to add some new ones. I've been hearing a fair bit about 30-Day Fitness Challenges, and since there are 12 months in a year I should be able to do 12 of them. I just need to decide on which ones.

For the record:


2014 Goals
  • Read 7500 pages (increasing from last year)
  • Do 10 101List items
  • Isengard to Minas Tirith (Aragorn's path) Starting at 525/786 miles, so maybe by summer.
  • Rauros to Isengard (Merry and Pippin's path) (backtracking a bit to the Breaking of the Fellowship)
  • Complete 12 30-day fitness challenges

There are other goals as well but those fall under the 101List bullet.

Regarding stitching, I completely missed the November and December WIPocalypse updates. I do like the monthly update idea, though, so I will try to get back on track with those. I'll try to get a stitching update posted by the weekend.

Here's to 2014, may it be better than 2013!

No comments: