A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another culture rant...

My apologies, but I feel the need once again to rant about the media's distorted perceptions of beauty.

Surfing the various news websites, I saw a photo essay headline that read "Full Figured Fatales". Huh, maybe people are realizing that maybe skinny isn't necessarily beautiful....

I couldn't have been more wrong in my assumptions. Featured in this photo essay....Kim Kardashian and Brooke Hogan.

ExCUSE me?? "Full figured" my @$$. Queen Latifah is full figured. Sarah Ferguson is full figured.

Talentless size 2 bimbos who wouldn't even be noteworthy except for famous relatives or being stupid enough to have themselves taped doing the nasty are *not* "full figured". And having plastic accessories in one's frontal area does not make one 'full figured' either.

Perhaps fortunately, in a few years people stumbling across this entry will likely say of them "who were they, anyway, and why did people care?".

And why do I care, even?

Because I have a 10yo daughter who thinks she's fat because the whole damned culture is being bombarded by this insane and warped perception of what constitutes "beauty". She deserves better than that.

Your daughters deserve better than that.


On the other hand...
If you need a palate-cleanser, check out this YouTube clip of Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent. At the beginning, the audience has obviously discounted her based on looks....until they hear her sing.

Just go have a listen. It'll be worth it, I promise.

No comments: