A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Fast and the Curious....

Lent starts tomorrow, and I have finally settled on what the plan will be.

I had already mentioned giving up the snooze button, and I'm going to go with that idea. DH quipped that once again I was giving up something that would be more of a penance for the rest of the family, so I also decided to give up yelling at my family. Unfortunately I do far too much of that, as evidenced by DD's obvious excitement upon hearing I was giving up yelling. I didn't think I yelled *that* much, but apparently I do. So, that is certainly an appropriate thing to give up. Although if DD has another morning like today, where she was Grand Duchess of Cranky, it'll be a tough challenge! At least I'm not giving up caffeine or sweets - I'll need all the help I can get!

On the flip side, I've also decided to read C.S. Lewis' Complete Signature Classics, which has: Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, The Problem of Pain, Miracles, A Grief Observed, and The Abolition of Man. I've already read Mere Christianity, which leaves 6 books for 6 weeks, and I've been wanting to read The Screwtape Letters for a while now anyway. And with not hitting the snooze button in the mornings, I'll have time to do the daily readings first thing in the morning instead of late in the evening. I have a subscription to Magnificat, a missalette that has the Mass readings and a meditation, as well as morning and evening prayers, for each day.

So that's where I am. Wish me luck!

On a completely different front, I have a small finish - a square for Laura's memorial quilt.

The pattern is a modification of Sweetheart Tree's "Wild Violets", on a 32ct Jobelan hand-dye. (The fabric was a 9x13 Silkweaver solo, and I'll be using the other half to do the normal "Wild Violets" for myself.) I just need to get the edges serged and get it in the mail.

No comments: