A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My stepdaughter wears combat boots!

DsD in BDUs Today is the big day. DsD is now a proud soldier in the US Army.

DH and I took her to the recruiting station this morning, and stayed with her until she boarded the bus north to where she'll process in. From there, she'll go to where her Basic Training is for 9 weeks, then off to her Advanced Training for some weeks after that. It will be August before we see her again.

She was a tad anxious, but mostly very excited. This is what she feels is her calling in life, and is happy about getting underway. Her dad and I are very proud of her. I can't speak for DH, but while I'm very proud, I can't help feeling like I want to cry. Not because of what she's doing - I'm proud to have a soldier in the family. I guess it's just the moment that every parent faces, when their baby grows up and leaves the nest...

To DsD: Good luck, Godspeed, and kick butt! Hooah!

No comments: