A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Journeys

My DH was over in Europe last week, so DD decided to sleep with me while he was gone. And proceeded to demonstrate her proficiency in Freestyle Competitive Bedhogging. It never ceases to amaze me just how much space a small child can take up. Especially in the middle of the night! DH is back now, and he came bearing very good chocolate. (Sorry ladies, he's mine!) Life is back to normal now, at least in terms of daily routine.

However, I can't say the same for my respiratory system. I woke up Friday morning to find my voice had fled. (Maybe my DD kicked it out of bed or something). After I'd been up for a bit, it reappeared disguised as a frog! I still sound a bit rough, and I really am getting rather tired of the congestion and coughing and in general feeling like crud. Hard to believe that when I was younger I almost never got sick...nowadays it seems I get hit with a cold several times a year! But there's no rest for the wicked, so I just muddle through.

I did hear of an interesting walking program - the Eowyn Challenge. You exercise as normal, but keep track as your total distance moves you along the same path travelled in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I think it's a pretty neat concept, although the 458 miles from Bag End to Rivendell will probably take me a good year or so. Obviously you don't have to keep the same speed as our hobbit friends - 18 miles in one day isn't an attainable goal for most people! DsD is interested as well, though I think she's going to travel from Edoras to Helm's Deep (a subset of Aragorn's trip from Rauros to Isengard). I'll start out at Bag End, myself, and hopefully I won't need wizardly intervention to set my foot on the path.

I'll just need to get over this cold!

No comments: