A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Words....words.... Words!

Cwsg yw bywyd heb lyfrau.- Welsh proverb
(Translation: Boring is life without books.)


I've been an avid reader ever since I first learned the skill. I'm pretty eclectic in my tastes - about the only things I'll give a general pass are certain types of nonfiction and pulp romance. Everything else is fair game.

To my delight, there's a book meme floating around, and it seemed rather suitable. Thanks to Darla for this gem!


Bold the books on this list that you have read, then add 3 more books on the end that you have read that are not already on the list.
For space considerations, I've just included the top 25. My comprehensive list can be found here.

1.The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
8. 1984, George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
19. Captain Corellis Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres
20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
22. Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone, JK Rowling
23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling
24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling
25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien


Looking at the list:
Some, such as The Catcher in the Rye and 1984, were read for school assignments, years ago. I read others,such as Jane Eyre or Crime and Punishment, because I got interested in an author or genre thanks to school assignments.
Some on the list, I read when I was younger but wouldn't read nowadays, like Mercedes Lackey or Robert Jordan, because my tastes have changed or I got fed up with the author. And some of the books on the list I have no desire at all to read.
I see several that I haven't read but want to eventually, like Pillars of the Earth and Phantom of the Opera
All of Tolkien's offerings, I've read multiple times, and will likely read multiple more times.
And yes, I honestly have read War and Peace, about 8 years ago. Having a DH who's a history buff that knows a fair bit about the Napoleonic era, I could actually follow most of the war parts....

No comments: