A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy New Year!!

It's the first day back at work and school for the family here at Alternate Dementia. After a week or more of being able to sleep in (most of the time), it was a little bit of a struggle for everyone to get motivated again, but we've muddled through so far.

I did think of one more yearly goal to add to those below: get the family website finished. Our virtual castle has been under construction for about two years now, and while I have a lot of ideas, I have yet to get them all down into words.

So to recap, my yearly goals (with bonus goals) are:
  • Finish stitching Last Supper (bonus: by Easter)
  • Get below 30% body fat (bonus: 28%)
  • Read on average a book a month (bonus: two books)
  • Clean up and organize back bedroom and contents (bonus: entire house)
  • Finish family website (bonus: scripting for seasonal items)

    And a meme to lead off with (thanks Lorna!) - a specific question-based Year in Review:
    1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
    Went to Italy and Canada.
    2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I don't recall even making resolutions last year, so I don't know if I kept them or not. I was good and stayed off caffeine during Lent last year - does that count? I have made resolutions for this year....I probably should stick them in my sidebar so I don't forget!
    3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Several people from work and from church have had lovely children. Nobody in my family has though.
    4. Did anyone close to you die?
    No, thankfully.
    5. What countries did you visit?
    Italy and Canada.
    6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
    I could go pie-in-the-sky and say "all my debts paid off, including the mortgage". Since that won't happen, I'll go with "hurricane shutters". Which will happen.
    7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    There are events that are etched upon my memory, but I don't have them seared into my brain by date.
    8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    Getting to experience two foreign countries in one year!
    9. What was your biggest failure?
    I can't really think of much that was actually within my control. Other than perhaps not exercising as much as I should.
    10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Nothing significant.
    11. What was the best thing you bought?
    The best thing I personally bought...hm. No major purchases this year, unless you count a downpayment on hurricane shutters!
    12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    DsD - somehow an alien teenager has turned into a responsible young woman.
    13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    DsS - invasion of the alien teenager!
    14. Where did most of your money go?
    The trip to Italy.
    15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    The trip to Italy (notice a theme here?)
    16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
    Hm. I don't know that there's a song that I'll hear some years down the road and say "ahh, 2004"...
    17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    a) happier or sadder? Hard to say...I don't remember how I felt at this time last year.
    b) thinner or fatter? Thinner, but not by much.
    c) richer or poorer? Richer, mainly in experience.
    18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
    Stopping and smelling the roses.
    19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
    Get angry at various members of my family. I'm not proud of that.
    20. How did you be spend Christmas?
    At home with the family. We had a roast goose, which turned out pretty well.
    21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
    I already have my family. Though I suppose one could fall in love with a place, in which case I could say the Italian countryside.
    22. How many one-night stands?
    I'm not that kind of girl!
    23. What was your favorite TV program?
    My favorite new TV show was Mythbusters
    24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
    Hate is such an ugly word. There are a few people of whom I have reduced opinions, but hate takes too much emotion and effort. Not good for my stress level.
    25. What was the best book you read?
    I have to think back - I didn't read much the latter half of the year. Simon Green's Hawk & Fisher series was good.
    26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    A local contemporary Christian music radio station, which got a lot of airplay this year.
    Though for a recent CD release, I like Purest Green's Alchemy.
    27. What did you want and get?
    I got Paint Shop Pro for Christmas!
    28. What did you want and not get?
    There are things on my amazon wishlist that I didn't get, but nothing I'm particularly jonesing for at the moment.
    29. What was your favorite film of this year?
    The Incredibles. Or can I count the extended edition Return of the King?
    30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    0x22, and we went to my favorite Irish pub.
    31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Fewer hurricanes!
    32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
    "Fashion concept"? Jeans and sandals, I guess.
    33. What kept you sane?
    Prayer, especially during the worst times. Stitching and/or reading helped for general stress reduction.
    34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    Fancy...hm. Not much given to drooling over celebrities. Although Sean Bean could play a factor in whether or not I'd be interested in seeing a movie.
    35. What political issue stirred you the most?
    All the brouhaha associated with the election just stressed me out. I'm glad it's over.
    36. Who did you miss?
    I can't really say I missed anyone. But then I wasn't aiming at anyone, either.
    37. Who was the best new person you met?
    Hard to say...I've met a number of people this year.
    38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
    Be very wary making assumptions about people - especially your own children!
    39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    "Sometimes it's a b!tch...sometimes it's a breeze
    Sometimes love's blind...and sometimes it sees
    Sometimes it's roses...and, sometimes it's weeds
    Sometimes it's a b!tch...sometimes it's a breeze"
    - Stevie Nicks, "Sometimes It's a B!tch"
  • No comments: