A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Friday, December 03, 2004

Rapunzel, Rapunzel...

I hate getting my hair cut. Not because I've had a bad style or anything - never really had anything particularly fancy done with my hair - but because I'm trying to grow it long. I don't know why, but my idealized image of myself has a hip-length cascade of copper tresses.

Unfortunately, my hair seems to have other ideas. I've never been able to get more than perhaps the longest lock lower than my waist - my hair grows so slowly, it seems, and the ends get damaged and thin all too quickly.

Common wisdom says "get a trim every 4-6 weeks and it'll grow better". I tried that wisdom about 5 years ago, but abandoned it after a few months. My hair is just now getting back to the point it was when I started. I've tried gelatin capsules, but those just seem to end up on my hips. (Maybe that's why I have jello-butt.)

Eventually the damage gets too great and sacrifices must be made. I got my hair trimmed today, and I have to admit it does look a lot neater. I lost about 4 inches, but given that most of it was pretty thin, the actual amount of hair lost was surprisingly small - it's still down to about the middle of my back. I'm going to try keeping a leave-in treatment on the ends to slow down the rate of damage, and maybe get it trimmed once every three months or so. Which is how often I've been needing to get DD's bangs trimmed, anyway.

No comments: