A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Acclimatization

We've had a bit of a "cold snap" the past few days - it's actually been in the 60's today, which to me is a nice change. DH was traveling back home from a business trip, and DD, DsD, DsD's boyfriend and I went out to dinner at a local hotdog/wing place. We sat at an outside table, enjoying the weather....and DD needed her jacket because she was cold.

She's definitely a Florida girl, if this is cold. She has seen snow in her life...twice that I can recall offhand (a Scotland trip at 7mo, and last winter up in Virginia), but for the most part she's lived in the high 80's and brutal humidity that characterizes weather down here 90% of the time. To her, this is natural. The good thing, of course, is that thunderstorms are no big deal to her, being practically a daily occurrence over summers. Heat? Sun? Bring it on.

I, on the other hand, have still not adjusted to that heat, humidity, and beating sun that are the hallmark of the climate. I've been down here 14 years, and all that's happened is that my blood has thinned enough to freeze me when I go back north.

It is interesting, in any event, how the climate of one's formative years plays a part in what constitutes pleasant weather.

No comments: