A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

A time in stitch...

Didn't stitch last night, but I did get to Curves (yay!) and watched a pair of Game 7's. The Calgary-Vancouver game was very interesting toward the end...especially the tying goal with under 6 seconds left! Definitely an exciting end.

DD made me a card last night - hand-drawn flowers, and she'd written "mom" on it. I've never seen her write anything other than her own name before, and I was very touched. Awwww.

Anyway, without further ado, here are this week's Stitcher's Five.


Stitcher's Five 4/19 - Specialty Stitches

1. Do you like to use specialty stitches when you stitch?

Sometimes. I like to learn new things, and many specialty stitches produce interesting effects. I especially like hardanger and drawn-thread type specialty stitches. But sometimes I just prefer making all those simple little X's.

2. Can you do a perfect french knot?

Hardly. I think what I usually do is a colonial knot, which I can do okay at. I'm not perfect at those, but I can get pretty close. I think...

3. What is your favourite stitch?

I assume you mean specialty stitch. Hmmm. Well, after responding to the next question, I may have to say eyelets. Though I also like the texture and pattern of Rhodes stitches, especially given that you can do shaped versions, such as hearts and butterflies.

4. Are you currently working on any projects with specialty stitches and if so which ones?

Active WIPs...I was about to say no, but then remembered Fortunate Traveler has eyelets. LOTS of eyelets. I guess I've just gotten so used to them that I don't consciously consider eyelets to be specialty stitches! Oh, and I do have an embroidery WIP, and one could probably count anything other than satin stitch to be 'specialty'.

5. Name a specialty stitch you would most love to learn how to do.

I'd love to be able to get bullion stitches down. My few attempts (for VS Wedding Sampler) didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped. I'd also like to be able to do general embroidery stitches. I can do some, but the long-and-short stitch just doesn't seem to turn out right for me.


Hockey, stitching, and cute child moments. Life is good right now.

No comments: