A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday miscellany - 21May2018

We're just coming off a wonderful long weekend spent down in Key West. DH and I went down this past Thursday night for a concert - Styx and Blue Öyster Cult as a double bill, which was every bit as awesome as one might expect. When the concert was first announced, we decided to just make a long weekend of it, since I'd never been to the Keys before despite living in Florida the past 27 years, and DH had only ever been on business.

As long as we were there, we visited the Hemingway House, Ripley's, the Little White House, Fort Taylor, and a number of very good food and drink establishments both in Key West and along our route. We ended our time in Key West with Mass at St Mary Star of the Sea. Local legend holds that as long as its grotto, built in 1922, still stands, Key West will be spared the worst of hurricane damage. That legend has held up so far, including Irma last year - Key West got off very lightly considering Irma made landfall only 20 miles east, so perhaps there is something to the legend. All in all, we had a wonderful time in the Keys, and will likely go back someday.

What I've been reading... I did bring my Kindle with me, and so Father Brown did accompany us, although I didn't spend much time in his company - I'm on page 539 of 761.

What I've been stitching... I didn't stitch at all over the past week, and so didn't quite reach my goal of finishing the camel by Pentecost, but I am within a couple hours of doing so, and with a long weekend coming up, I expect to have completed it by next update.

Fumbling toward fitness... I did continue my Duolingo and Lumosity streaks, but I neither went to Curves nor treadmilled last week. According to Google Maps, though, we walked about 8 miles over our trip, not counting time on our feet inside museums. Hemingway's polydactyl cats may not care about the "Do not sit on the furniture" signs, but we obeyed them.

One Little Victory Despite the heavy rains besieging much of Florida, we had wonderful weather while we were out and about in Key West - we only saw rain on the way there and as we were departing.

No comments: