A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Friday, July 02, 2004

Memoirs of an evil genius?

So I've gotten wind of yet another silly personality quiz...


You are an SEDF--Sober Emotional Destructive Follower. This makes you an evil genius. You are extremely focused and difficult to distract from your tasks. With luck, you have learned to channel your energies into improving your intellect, rather than destroying the weak and unsuspecting.

Your friends may find you remote and a hard nut to crack. Few of your peers know you very well--even those you have known a long time--because you have expert control of the face you put forth to the world. You prefer to observe, calculate, discern and decide. Your decisions are final, and your desire to be right is impenetrable.

You are not to be messed with. You may explode.


Evil genius, huh? I think I'd need to work on my maniacal laugh. And exploding.

Speaking of exploding, I'm looking forward to the pyrotechnics this weekend, both televised and live. I love fireworks, though when I'm involved in setting them off I personally keep to the low-key items like sparklers or ground blooms. I also like setting off the very small fountains - things with a lot of colorful sparks but not a lot of noise. DD's not big on loud bangs.

Besides, anything that can get airborne and go boom is technically illegal where I live, and that includes bottle rockets. There's a loophole that allows fireworks distributors (and there are several large ones within a couple miles of here) to sell to you if you sign a waiver saying you're using it for 'agricultural purposes' - scaring birds, for instance. Me, I don't feel strongly enough about bottle rockets to bother. Last time we tried setting off bottle rockets, half of them were duds anyway because they were so old. I'll keep to the small novelty items.

There are a couple of professional displays near here, but I'm really not a huge crowd person and I wouldn't want to risk DD in such a large public gathering. We'll watch them on TV - probably CBS's Boston display, and if the noise bothers her we can always mute it and just watch the pretty lights. A&E used to do the whole "Pops goes the Fourth", with the Boston Pops Orchestra doing a nice concert and then the fireworks. Not sure what's happened, but they're not doing that this year - CBS has taken over. Major bummer - I always liked Pops Goes the Fourth.

I hope CBS's limited coverage at least covers the 1812 Overture. It's just not the same without the cannons.

No comments: