A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Evading encroaching entropy...

I have a confession - I am a lousy housekeeper. (And I can just imagine the comments my DH will make, or at least think, when he reads this.) There are just so many other things I'd rather be doing with my limited free time than cleaning house.

I'm not the worst housekeeper in the world - I don't have rotting food or piles of dirty laundry lying around (laundry being one of the tasks I do very regularly). My house isn't dirty...but it does suffer from a bad case of clutter. And some areas of the house are worse than others. The living room tends to stay mostly clutter-free, and the dining room and kitchen only have mild cases of clutter. The master bedroom, computer room, and back porch, on the other hand, are archeological goldmines, with the master bedroom being a veritable shrine to packratdom.

Until last night. I've been meaning to declutter for a while now, and occasionally individual horizontal surfaces would temporarily see the light of day, but that rarely lasted. Of late I've tended to go for the "shove it in a box and deal with it later" approach. But last night, what started as an effort to clean up the growing collection of magazines, storybooks, and other items on the floor by my bedside lead to me doing a rather extensive cleanup of half the bedroom!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard that right. I cleaned my room. There are parts of the desk that hadn't seen the light of day in nearly a decade and are now blinking at the sudden brightness. And I have a half-full 30-gallon trash bag to prove it.

Go me, as DD and DsD would say.

It's not completely done, however, and there are a couple of crates with books that need to be put away that haven't been so yet. Putting away books is a whole separate issue - we have more books than shelving. But at least I've made a good start on bringing order from chaos.

I wonder how long that will last.

No comments: