A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Saturday, January 01, 2022

Happy New Year 2022!

At least, I hope it's happy but to be honest I'm almost afraid to say anything. I think we're all looking back at 2021 and wondering "what the (redacted) was that??"

But anyone reading this has survived whatever that was, and so it's time for a retrospective. For the most part, my year was much the same as 2020 - I was able to work from home most of the time, though alas that is ending and I'll be going into the office when I go back after the holidays. I also had an unexpected need for shoulder surgery mid-year, which ultimately went well but did impact my ability to stitch for a while. Some much-anticipated travel plans fell through...again...which is one more reason to give 2021 the stink-eye.

But, I'm still standing. So without further ado, I need to hold myself accountable for last year, and so let's look at my plans, shall we?
    Progress bar goals
  • Read 10,000 pages - I came in just under 11,800 pages, so this was a success.
  • Lose 25 pounds - Sadly, I didn't lose anything. I could blame the pandemic, but I know I need to do better about my health.

  • Other goals
  • Finish Chatelaine's "Walled English Garden" - Success! I finished this in late January.
  • Finish Ink Circles "Castle Walls" - I finished the center and one of the quadrants, so I made good progress but nowhere close to finishing.
  • Finish the center square on Chatelaine's "Poison Garden" - I made good progress on this after my surgery, but not enough to finish the center square before moving on to other projects.
  • Clean up and organize my crafting lair - I didn't finish by Easter as I'd hoped, but I did get it cleaned up and organized. Inventorying what I have is a whole 'nother task.
  • Complete one yarncrafting project - Success! I finished a C2C crochet scarf in February, and started a knit wrap.

  • New Habits
  • Drink at least 1.5 litre of water a day - I did well with this most days.
  • Continue Duolingo and Lumosity daily exercises My Duolingo streak is technically still active. My Lumosity streak, sadly, is not - I've broken this multiple times this year, so I'm not sure what's going on.
  • Do some form of exercise daily - Started off the year strong, but I've been less diligent the latter part of the year. I need to do better.
  • Make sure the dishes are done daily - This is working well for me still.

Very much a mixed bag of results, but I'm sure many folks can say the same as this pandemic just draaaaags on.

What about this year? I think I'm going to refrain from making too many specific crafting goals and try to enjoy the journey rather than stress about it.
    Progress bar goals
  • Read 10,000 pages - I made this last year, and I've identified several things I want to read this year, so this should be achievable. If I can make goal for 3 years running, I'll consider increasing this.
  • Lose 25 pounds - If I want to stay off any sort of maintenance med, I really need to get a handle on this...

  • Other goals
  • Finish Ink Circles "Blackstone Fantasy Garden" - This was my birthday start last year, and I'd estimate it at about 70% complete. I want to finish this soon-ish so I can start Liz Almond's "Save the Stitches" blackwork sampler as my next birthday start.
  • Finish reading Neal Stephenson's _Baroque Cycle_ - This has been on my TBR pile for a while, and I started this last month. It also clocks in at about 4000 pages, so that should help my reading goal.
  • Inventory my crafting supplies - Now that my lair is pretty well organized, I need to inventory what I have, and possibly cull a bit.
  • Complete one yarncrafting project - Either crochet or knit. This is a good recurring goal, in much the way the reading goal is.

  • Habits
  • Drink at least 1.5 litre of water a day
  • Continue Duolingo and Lumosity daily exercises
  • Do some form of exercise daily
  • Make sure the dishes are done daily - Keeping this up!
I guess this year's goals look a lot like last year's goals, and that's ok. Consistency is half the battle.

No comments: