A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Monday, October 01, 2018

Monday miscellany - 1Oct2018

The months fly past at an increasing rate, it seems, and October is already upon us.

I’ve been doing some thinking over the past week about my recent lack of success with exercise goals, and have come to the conclusion that I need to restructure some things. Rather than committing to treadmilling every day and Curves every weekday that they’re open, I’m going to start by setting a somewhat ‘modest’ goal of 200 minutes a week between those two things (or any other exercise). Once I’ve had 3 consecutive weeks of meeting that goal, I’ll increase it to maybe 210 or 225, and just keep progressing upward from there. This gives me a bit more flexibility to adapt to busy days, illness, travel, or all those other little bits of life that play havoc with best-laid plans.

Speaking of best-laid plans, off to the updates!

What I’ve been reading…. I read Brian McClellan’s novella “War Cry”, and have started _Straight Outta Tombstone_, a collection of short-stories set in the Wild West with a sci-fi or fantasy twist to them. I’ve been enjoying it so far.

What I’ve been crafting… I finished the central square on Chatelaine’s “Violet Mandala”, and have set that aside for a while. I’m about to pick up Teresa Wentzler’s “Fantasy Triptych” again – I only have the castle panel remaining, and will continue work on that until I’ve finished. After all of the over-1 violets I stitched last month, this should go a bit more quickly.

Fumbling toward fitness… After the decision to revisit my exercise goals, I did succeed the first week of it, with 201 minutes total. I went by Curves 4 times and made up the balance on the treadmill. Short story collections do seem to help my treadmilling!
My Lumosity and Duolingo streaks are still going strong, but I've not had much of an issue with that.

One Little Victory I achieved my 800th workout at Curves! Also, UCF is now 4-0 and has a 17-game win streak. Go Knights!

No comments: