A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Odds and ends

Random ups, downs, ins, and outs the past week here.

The biggest news is that DD had her tonsils and adenoids out this morning. She was a very brave girl about it - she wasn't very nervous at all, and even less so after going on a tour of the outpatient surgery center. Her tonsils (and apparently her adenoids as well) were rather enlarged...when an ENT says "Oh my gosh those are huge" to your tonsils - you know they're big! She's recovering pretty well, although she's still rather groggy and a tad cranky. But that's to be expected. I've laid in an ample supply of popsicles and other soft and cold goodies for her.

I also started Pawprintings "Butterfly Waltz" for her while DH and I were in the waiting room. I had some purple Soie d'Alger of similar color to the DMC, so I've converted it to all silks. It's going pretty quickly - perhaps another thing to be framed with that gift certificate that expires next month. If I can get it done in time.

In the meantime, my stitching timetable has been compressed - I'm working on a wedding present for our friend M (DH's oldest bud and DD's godfather) and his future wife J....and the wedding has been moved up from September to June! Which means I need to get the gift stitched by the end of this month and off to my new framer so it can be framed in time. I think I only have about 10 hours left, so it shouldn't be too big a problem to finish.

Otherwise, life is mostly random spots:
  • I've seen fire and I've seen (not much) rain: For the second time in as many weeks, a large brush fire has consumed part of the local park - about 200 acres each time. We did have about half an inch of rain on Sunday morning, but in the past 6 weeks or so we've had less than an inch total. Very dry - I hope this isn't a repeat of 1998, where we had so many brush fires there was threat of a firestorm up north at one point... WE NEED RAIN!!
  • Automotive alchemy: I sold my poor trusty Saturn wagon today. DsD and DH had gone in on a car with the assumption she'd take over payments with her military pay. Which never happened because DsD ended up not shipping, so she gave the car back to us, and with one car too many, it made more sense to sell the car that was already paid for. So I'm now the proud (?) owner of a gold '03 Saturn ION. So in a sense I've seen automotive alchemy - turning my wagon into gold! Like any new car, though, it'll take me a while to get used to it.
  • Lost in the Old Forest: I haven't been walking as quickly to Rivendell as I should - been a wee bit of a slug the past two weeks. If I meet my goal this week, though, I'll be spending the weekend with Tom Bombadil!

    So that's my week in a nutcaseshell. We just got the Narnia 2disc set, and I'm off to watch it. Prayers and good thoughts for DD's speedy recovery would be greatly appreciated!
  • No comments: