A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Friday, July 01, 2005

2005 Goals - Status

Halfway through the year, and time for me to take a look at how my stated goals for 2005 are going...


  • Finish Last Supper (67% complete)
    Stitching is going rather well! I'm 2/3 complete - 4 of 6 pages done, 187 hours out of a projected 275. This certainly looks quite achievable by the end of the year.
  • Get below 30% bodyfat (0%)
    Um...the less said about this, the better. Logistics have made it difficult to get to Curves on a consistent basis, but I have started using a stationary bike at home several times a week. It is starting to make a difference, but at this point I'm still making up ground lost since the beginning of the year.
  • Average one book/month (58% complete)
    Another one that's looking quite achievable, especially since I read on the exercise bike to keep my mind off my numbing hindquarters.
    To date, I've read seven books:
    David Weber, Service of the Sword - an anthology of short stories set in the universe of Weber's acclaimed Honor Harrington series. I love the Honor series - Weber's universe is well-developed and he seems to have put a lot more effort than many in his advanced technology.
    Anita Diamant, The Red Tent - historical fiction set in early Biblical times, retelling the story of Jacob, Leah, Rachel, and their children as told from Leah's daughter Dinah's viewpoint. I read this book while on a business trip and quite liked it.
    Sarah Zettel, The Usurper's Crown - the prequel to A Sorcerer's Treason, fantasy set in both the Great Lakes and a magical dimension. I've loved this series so far and am looking forward to Firebird's Vengeance.
    C.S.Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet,Perelandra,That Hideous Strength - Christian science fiction trilogy dealing with aliens and supernatural beings. An enjoyable and thought-provoking (if a bit dense) read. I've since learned that Dr. Ransom, the protagonist in the first two books, was patterned on Tolkien...who returned the favor by patterning Treebeard on Lewis.
    Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens - a fun little fantasy about the apocalypse. Pratchett is always great for light reading with a healthy dose of British humor.

    I'm currently reading Time and Chance by Sharon Kay Penman, the second in a planned trilogy about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. My first experience with Penman was Sunne in Splendour, and it got me hooked both on her and on historical fiction in general. I've loved everything I have read by her so far.

    Upcoming reads:
    Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth
    The Mabinogion
    Dante, The Divine Comedy

  • Finish family website (15% complete)
    Unfortunately, I haven't done anything on this so far this year. The bulk of the virtual castle is still in my head. Once I do get started on this project in earnest, it should go rather quickly.

  • Clean out house (45% complete)
    I've been making steady progress on this. I've got the remaining work broken down into small tasks with percentages attached (DH would probably call this 'anal'). My ultimate goal is to get to the point where we can maintain the house in a decluttered state.


    So that's where I stand. We're going on vacation for a week in August, and I tend to read a lot when travelling so expect to see some good progress there. And who knows, maybe I'll even make some progress on the weight goal by then!
  • No comments: