A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Bibliophilia

Tagged again, this time by Suz! Ah, books, my addiction!

1)Total number of books I’ve owned:
Easily in the thousands! At one point I bought a large lot (over 300) from a going-out-of-business used bookstore for $50. Most of those were eventually donated to a booksale fundraiser at church, but I did own them for a while. And if I had to guess, I would say that there are between 1000-1500 books currently in my house.

2) The last book I bought:
Good question. We did a large amazon order that included DH's textbooks, and pieces of that order have been trickling in over the past few weeks, but I think the last book I actually went into a store and bought was C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy.

3) The last book I read:
I'm assuming the question means "read for myself", as opposed to picturebooks read to DD. I can't remember what I most recently read to her.
Finished: Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
In progress: That Hideous Strength, C.S. Lewis
Actually, things have been busy and I haven't read in a month or so, so I may need to restart That Hideous Strength!

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me
These are books that have impacted my life or my thinking in some manner - this doesn't necessarily mean they're my favorites, but neither does it mean they aren't.
The Sunne in Splendour, Sharon Kay Penman -I read this not long after DH and I married, and it got me interested in medieval history.
The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien - The quintessential fantasy masterpiece
The Last Battle, C.S.Lewis - Indeed the whole Narnia series, but this one keeps coming back to my mind the most.
The Bible
The Prydain Chronicles, Lloyd Alexander - I read these in elementary school, and they spurred a lifelong love of fantasy and Celtic mythology. Were it not for these, I may well never have picked up Tolkien.

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs:
Ah, the challenge of finding 5 folks who haven't filled this out already! Let's go with a global approach:
Gosia (continental Europe), Darla (USA), Kiwi Jo (US by way of NZ), Shannon (Canada), and Natty from the UK this time.

No comments: