A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papam!

I got back from lunch to hear that we now have a new Holy Father - Benedict XVI!

I'm not surprised by the choice of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, but I will admit I was surprised at how quickly a decision was reached. I'd figured we'd know before Friday, but not before tomorrow.

I saw a special on the History Channel last night about papal elections, and one of the people being interviewed said that after long papacies, the College of Cardinals tends to elect someone older, "someone to keep the Chair of Peter warm without disturbing the surrounding furniture". So with the newly named Benedict XVI being 78, maybe they're hoping for that.

But then you never know - the cardinals made a 'safe' choice in electing John XXIII, and he called the second Vatican council!

So we'll see what happens. In any event, the new Pope has some mighty large shoes to fill!

No comments: