A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Techno babble

Technology is a drug - a rather addictive one. Think of the many inventions nowadays that are considered indispensible. Microwaves, VCRs (or TiVo), answering machines, computers. Cell phones. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's ever turned the car around just to retrieve a forgotten cell phone, and yet 5 years ago I didn't even own one. The Internet, without which I wouldn't have my wonderful DH. We are a nation of technojunkies.

Even seemingly simple items have insinuated themselves into our lives, making us dependent on them. Take the "fuel low" warning light that most new cars have, often affectionately termed the Idiot Light.

None of my previous vehicles had idiot lights. One kept a close eye on the gas gauge, and hoped it was accurate. After a while you get a feel for how low that needle could dip before you had to visit a service station, and it only takes one instance of actually running out of gas to realize when you've pushed it too far. But now, I don't even think of stopping to refuel until my idiot light comes on. I'm dependent on it now - if it weren't for that tiny yellow icon getting my attention, I'd probably end up stranded by the side of the road when I least expect it. My "keep an eye on the fuel gauge" neural path has probably atrophied by now.

I have officially become an Idiot.

No comments: