A window into the life of a professional geek, wife and mother (and nonni), stitcher/designer, bibliophile, old-school gamer, and whatever other roles she finds herself in.

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Things that make you go "D'oh!"

About four years ago, DH, DD, our friend M, and I went to the UK for the millenium (hey, we figured it was our one chance to get stranded on the other side of the ocean if the Y2K bug kept planes from flying). On the way from London to York, we made a detour to Fotheringhay to try to see what might be left of the castle, and if we were lucky, to see the resting place of DD's namesake. Well, all that's left of the castle is a large rock with a plaque. It was still a rather nice location, despite the wind and rain we were experiencing at the time, but I admit I was a little disappointed about not finding a tomb. DD was 7 months old at the time, so she didn't really have an opinion on the matter.

Fast forward to last night. In browsing, I discovered that the resting place of several of the Yorks, including the one I sought, was in the church at Fotheringhay. A currently still active church. We'd driven by this church, and I even have a picture of the church from where the castle once stood. I was that close, and didn't know it.

Our friend M told me this morning that at the time we were there the church was under renovation and wasn't open for visitors, so I feel slightly less frustrated.

But next time we're in the UK, I want to go to Fotheringhay again. I also want to visit Middleham, but that's a story for another day.

No comments: